The humble lasagne is worthy of taking your time and thoughtfully building layers of flavour. Our Reserve cheddar is the best choice for this classic dish as it has a mature tang that cuts through the rich béchamel and herby tomato sauce.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
Skill level: Easy
• 150g Davidstow Cheddar 36 month, grated
• 500g beef mince
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 250g Chopped Tomato
• 2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
• 1 onion, finely diced
• 1 tsp oregano or herbes de Provence
• 1 tsp paprika
• 50 ml Red Wine
• 1 tbsp balsamic Vinegar
• 1 tbsp Worcs Sauce
• 200ml Chicken Stock
• 300g lasagne sheets
• 500g white sauce
• 500ml Milk
• 50g butter
• 50g Flour
• Pinch of Nutmeg
1. Make your white sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan, adding flour and stirring into a paste. Cook for 2 minutes then add in the milk gradually. Season and add nutmeg and half the grated cheese.
2. In another pan brown the beef mince in oil with garlic, onion, paprika and oregano. After 5-10 minutes deglaze the pan with red wine and add in the tomatoes, stock, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Cook for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat your oven to 180˚C and start building your lasagne in an ovenproof dish. Spoon one third of the meat sauce into the base then cover with pasta sheets. Cover with one third of the white sauce followed by another layer of pasta. Repeat until you have a multi-layered stack of delicious lasagne. On the top layer finish with white sauce and the remaining grated Davidstow cheddar.
4. Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes until the top is bubbling and lightly browned.
Buy your cheese online
This recipe uses Davidstow Reserve cheese. You can now buy our cheeses online. Click below to shop now.
You may also like
Other side dishes
Davidstow Fish Pie
A classic fish pie with a twist! The mashed potato is enriched with a generous grating of Davidstow Crackler & we use a vermouth instead of white wine for the white sauce!
Davidstow mushroom & cheddar risotto
Elevate a humble mushroom risotto by adding mature Cornish cheddar instead of Parmesan. The aged cheese works wonderfully to make a creamy, nutty flavoured risotto; base garnished with fried King oyster mushrooms, lemon and asparagus.