Davidstow Cheddar and Cauliflower soup
A cheese and cauliflower soup, perfect for a winter’s day. Classic comfort food made with a British seasonal vegetable, given a gourmet twist using Davidstow Classic cheddar. All with zero waste!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Skill level: Easy
For the soup
• 1 Cauliflower, florets, stalk and leaves
• 1 Leek, finely sliced
• 1 shallot, finely diced
• 75g butter, diced
• 1 pint of milk
• 75ml White Wine
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 200g Davidstow Classic cheddar, grated
• 250ml vegetable stock
• Pinch of sea salt and cracked black pepper
• 2 Bay leaves
For the herb oil
• 2 tbsp roughly chopped parsley
• 2 tbsp chives
• 100ml olive oil
• 75g butter, diced
For the cheesy croutons
• Sourdough bread, slightly stale
• 2 tbsp finely grated Davidstow cheddar
• 2 tbsp herb oil
• Pinch of salt and pepper
1. Prepare your cauliflower by separating the leaves from the florets. Place the leaves on a roasting tray and drizzle with a little oil and a pinch of salt. Roast in the oven just before you serve the soup at 200˚C for 12-15 mins until crispy and keep to one side along with the croutons later.
2. Dice the cauliflower stalk and florets and cook in a large sauté pan with golden bubbling butter, shallot, bay, salt and pepper for 10 mins. Turn a few times to avoid burning, but allow the butter to brown and caramelise the cauliflower slightly.
3. Add the chopped leeks and sauté for a further 4-5 mins. Then deglaze the pan with a glass of white wine and reduce for 2 mins.
4. Transfer to a saucepan and add milk, plenty of grated Davidstow cheddar and veg stock. Season with a small pinch of salt and a good pinch of pepper.
5. Reduce the heat to simmer for 10-15 mins without boiling the milk and then puree until smooth with a stick blender.
6. Make the herb oil by simply blitzing the herbs with oil in a nutri-bullet or food processor and then using a fine sieve to remove the herbs providing a lovely green, aromatic oil.
7. Dice your sourdough bread and drizzle with herb oil. Season and bake in the oven for 15-20 mins. Alternatively cook in a frying pan. For the last few minutes coat the golden croutons in finely grated cheese and chives.
8. Serve your warming cauliflower and cheddar soup with a few crispy leaves, cheesy croutons and a drizzle of herb oil. Finish with more cheese and finely chopped chives.
Buy your cheese online
This recipe uses Davidstow Classic cheese. You can now buy our cheeses online. Click below to shop now.
You may also like
Davidstow Cauliflower cheese
A creamy cauliflower cheese can be elevated to the next level by using Davidstow Reserve cheddar.
Davidstow cheese and onion pasty
This is our Cornish cheese and onion pasty that celebrates the classic combination of matured cheddar and aromatic allium