Davidstow mushroom & cheddar risotto
Elevate a humble mushroom risotto by adding mature Cornish cheddar instead of Parmesan. The aged cheese works wonderfully to make a creamy, nutty flavoured risotto; base garnished with fried King oyster mushrooms, lemon and asparagus. Serve with a chilled bottle of white wine and season with cracked black pepper and sea salt
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Skill level: Easy
• 100g Dried Mushrooms.
• 250g Arborio rice
• 1.5 Litres of Mushroom / Veg Stock
• 200g Fresh mushrooms / exotic mushrooms
• 250ml White Wine
• 2 King Oyster Mushrooms
• Sprig of Thyme
• 1 Large white onion finely sliced
• 3 cloves garlic finely sliced
• 1tbsp Olive Oil
• 50g Butter
• 150g 36mth Davidstow Reserve Cheddar
• 1 Lemon Zest & Juice
• Salt / Pepper
1. Gently cook the onion & garlic in the butter and a dash of the oil. Try not to get too much colour in the onions & garlic, cook it nice and slow it will bring out the sweetness and fragrance in the ingredients and stop the butter burning.
2. Make a stock in a jug with the veg stock and adding in the dried mushrooms to rehydrate in the stock. This will infuse the stock whilst cooking and also add a beautiful rich mushroom flavour.
3. Add the rice into the pan with the onions & garlic along with some extra butter and coat the rice with the butter & onion / garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add in the fresh mushrooms, roughly chopped.
4. Add the wine to the pan and stir in, cook for a couple of minutes. Turn the heat down to a low setting so it’s just simmering, add the stock little by little, stirring regularly for around 35-40 mins.
5. Slice the King Oyster mushrooms vertically and score diagonally. Cook in a separate pan in some butter for 2-3 minutes each side.
6. When the risotto is nearly finished, but still has just a little bite, add the fresh thyme, and the grated cheese and stir through. Season well and serve with the King Oyster mushrooms and grated lemon zest on top.
7. A side of fresh asparagus slightly steamed and dressed with olive oil is a lovely addition.
Buy your cheese online
This recipe uses Davidstow Reserve cheese. You can now buy our cheeses online. Click below to shop now.
You may also like
The humble lasagne is worthy of taking your time and thoughtfully building layers of flavour. Our Reserve cheddar is the best choice for this classic dish as it has a mature tang that cuts through the rich béchamel and herby tomato sauce.
Davidstow Fish Pie
A classic fish pie with a twist! The mashed potato is enriched with a generous grating of Davidstow Crackler & we use a vermouth instead of white wine for the white sauce!