Davidstow crab & leek gratin
This is a recipe which celebrates Cornish luxury but it’s surprisingly easy to make. The scallop shells are a lovely serving suggestion but you can bake this dish in a small ramekin also. The Reserve cheddar adds extra maturity to the flavour with the leek and crab, but you can use one of our other aged cheeses too and still get great results. Also try your own version with chilli, parley and lemon zest.
• 100ml crab meat
• 100g grated Davidstow Cheddar, 36 month Reserve
• 50g panko breadcrumbs
• 2 sprigs of tarragon
• 1 leek, finely sliced
• 50g butter
• 50g plain flour
• 100ml Milk
1. Start by making your cheese sauce in a saucepan. Combine melted butter with leeks for the mixture at this early stage.
2. Soften the leeks in the melting butter, adding in the plain flour and stirring the mixture into a basic roux paste.
3. Next slacken with milk. Allow the white sauce to thicken then add in your grated Davidstow cheddar Reserve and white and brown crab meat.
4. Spoon the delicious mixture into individual ramekins or cleaned scallop shells. Then top with breadcrumbs and a little more finely grated cheese.
5. Grill for 10-12 minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden brown and the crab and leek cheese sauce is bubbling.
6. Garnish with a sprig of tarragon and season with sea salt flakes and a segment of lemon.
Buy your cheese online
This recipe uses Davidstow Reserve cheese. You can now buy our cheeses online. Click below to shop now.
You may also like
Davidstow Cauliflower cheese
A creamy cauliflower cheese can be elevated to the next level by using Davidstow Reserve cheddar.
Davidstow Cornish Rarebit
This is the ultimate grilled cheese recipe with a Cornish twist on the traditional rarebit. We’ve used a bottle of local Doombar and some wholegrain mustard to complement our Classic 12 month cheddar.