Davidstow rosemary & cheese scones
Our Davidstow twist on a classic cream tea. This West Country favourite has real depth of flavour from Crackler grated into the cheesy scones, with lemon and rosemary. They are yummy with an extra slice of cheese and generous dollop of red onion chutney
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Skill level: Medium
• 400g Self Raising Flour
• 225g Davidstow 18month Cheddar
• 10g Fresh Rosemary
• 2 Egg (1 for egg wash)
• 2 Lemons, just zest.
• 125ml Milk
• 1 tsp Salt
• 1 Tsp Pepper
• 100g Salted Butter Cold
1. Use your hands to break up the cold butter into the flour and mix with your fingertips until it’s a consistent texture, a light golden colour.
2. Add in the grated cheese and stir so it’s an even mix. Add the rosemary, finely sliced and the lemon zest.
3. Mix the egg in with the milk and add the seasoning into the wet mix.
4. Mix the wet and dry ingredients slowly bit by bit until it forms a lovely dough.
5. Place the dough on a flat and lightly floured surface and form into a flat (3-4cm high) area. Use a cutter to cut into even sized scones. (This mix makes around 12 medium scones)
6. Brush with egg wash Bake in a preheated oven at 190C for 20 mins or until risen and golden.
Buy your cheese online
This recipe uses Davidstow Crackler cheese. You can now buy our cheeses online. Click below to shop now.
You may also like
Davidstow crab & leek gratin
This is a recipe which celebrates Cornish luxury but it’s surprisingly easy to make. The Reserve cheddar adds extra maturity to the flavour with the leek and crab, but you can use one of our other aged cheeses too and still get great results.
Davidstow cheese ploughmans
Add some Cornish charm to your ploughman’s with our Davidstow Crackler cheese. It is complex and creamy but with a crumbly texture like the rugged north coasts of Cornwall.
Davidstow cheddar & apple tart
This is an ideal way to serve our Davidstow Crackler, for a recipe that is quick and easy to make. An open tray bake with extra mature cheddar providing the savoury profile to work with sweet apple, subtle metallic notes from watercress and earthy walnut.